Fairmont High School is a learning community that cares for its members … so that its members can care for the community at large.
The three pillars of our caring approach are ensuring a safe learning environment, building social and citizenship skills, and developing the academic skills and understanding needed for continual learning.
- We are proactive with supervision, structure and programming.
- We listen and give thoughtful and truthful feedback even when it is difficult.
- We call on many talents and resources to help solve problems.
- We help people understand and learn from their mistakes.
- We model, build and practice citizenship skills.
- We grow and refine communication, literacy, analysis and problem solving.
- We provide opportunities to perform and compete.
- We promote teamwork and positive community norms.
- We require mastery of essential skills and concepts.
- We provide advanced work and interventions.
- We equip our members with the "science" to investigate and understand.
- We use relevant problems to inspire our members to do rigorous work.
As we look at the current economic situation here and abroad it is clear that we will need every one of our students to be productive caring members of our local and national community. With this in mind our staff and students will be working on these pillars. We invite you to measure our progress based on the 12 indicators listed above.